Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm done...

I have decided to quit pumping.  This decision has been at least two weeks in the making.  After struggling and many tears over nursing, frequent pain and feeling like I never got a break, we have decided to stop pumping breast milk.  Aaron has had issues with SEVERE gas for the past several weeks and we are attempting to rule out a milk sensitivity as the cause.  Due to this, I am not allowed any dairy in my diet, nor coffee, chocolate, onions, garlic, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, basically anything that may give anyone gas.  By the way, milk is in EVERYTHING!  Not to mention, I felt deprived of everything I usually eat and it made me just want it more!  I ate dairy one day and the poor kid suffered through intense intestinal gas for a day and a half.  I finally swallowed my pride and decided to stop nursing.  It wasn't fair to Aaron for me to continue to feed him breastmilk because, "Dammit, I am going to breast feed."  He was so uncomfortable and I knew that it was my fault that he was feeling so awful.  We've gone exclusively to a soy formula now, which we are hoping makes it easier to discover what is causing him such intense pain.  He's also taking an acid reducer to help with spit up, which seems to work at times and not at others.  This was a tough decision for me, but I know that Aaron will still be a healthy child, even though I wasn't able to nurse him and I, will also be much happier and less stressed knowing that I don't have to try to search for time to pump on top of feeding him during the day, as well as stress about the foods that I am eating and the time it takes to prepare and the cost of buying dairy-free.  I'm hoping that it will allow us more time to bond and cuddle and I won't feel resentment towards him for the extreme diet restriction.  What a horrible feeling!  While I didn't want to make the decision, my mom, husband, and close friend helped me rationalize the benefit of doing so and I am mostly at peace with my decision.
Now I am dealing with attempts to more quickly dry up my milk while being as comfortable as possible. I am pumping about 5 minutes at a time a few times a day to relieve some pressure and taking ibuprofen for swelling.  I've read about using cold cabbage leaves in your bra, as well as sage tea but don't think I'm going to partake in those at this time.  We'll just use ice packs, anti-inflammatory medication, continue to drink fluids and decreasing pumping as I am able.  Not enjoying dealing with leaking and the pain of engorgement but it's gotta happen some time.  Better now than while I'm back at work, I guess.  Anyone else out there got any suggestions for more quickly drying up, or easing the ache?  I'd love to hear it!

6 comments:

Sara Haylett said...

I know how tough a decision this was for you. You are a great mom and you made the best choice for your son and for you. Unfortunately sometimes the right choice is not the easy one or the one we would like to have chosen. The good parent is able to make that choice. Hang in there, there will be many more tough choices, but you will do great!

Amy Strickland said...

What a bummer! Sounds like you and Aaron have given it a good run, so at least you tried. Try to keep your head up and hopefully all will get better for you and for him!
I don't have much advice on the milk issue b/c I've never been there before, I've read the same things that you've mentioned... but also read that pumping will signal your body to produce more milk. But what are you going to do if you are so full of milk that it's causing you to be miserable?

Anonymous said...

You did so much for him by making it as long as you did! Mothers guilt kicks in pretty quick! Don't feel bad. So many babies have formula. I never had any breastmilk and I made it. I hope the switch helps with his issues! Good luck.

Shannon Boehm said...

Oops didn't mean to make that anonymous! :)

connie said...

Stacey, you guys are doing great. Sometimes it isn't even what you are eating but the stress you are under worrying about all the details. You have given him a great start. He is a beautiful healthy little guy. You made a good decision. There use to be a shot they could give you but I don't know anymore. You guys are doing great and there will be lots of tough decisions. You can only do your best! Love you all!

Unknown said...

They told me in the hospital NOT to take allergy medicine as it dries up everything. That helped me. I nursed exclusively for 2 months then pumped another 2 months. I decided to stop pumping because I couldn't get my milk supply up no matter what I did. Max stopped nursing when I went back to work :( It was a very hard decision and one that I still have regrets about it, despite the time I gained back at work (I only have 2 breaks a day and I was using them to pump) so I'm able to get work done at work and not have to bring it home. My stress level has gone down, but I still wonder if I could have kept going...It's hard not to think others will judge you for the decision. But at the end of the day you have to look at your little man and decide that for yourself. For me, being able to spend the time with Max after work is so worth it, before I wasn't getting that time.

Contributors