Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Poop

So, I already gave you fair warning about what this post is about, so if you choose to read further, it is at your own informed risk.  Aaron has pooped on his own for the first time in over a month!  We'd been struggling with constipation since we switched to a soy-based formula.  After asking multiple professionals about changing back to a milk-based formula and getting the same answer ("No, that likely won't make the constipation issue improve"), we decided to go for it anyway.  It was originally believed that Aaron had a milk intolerance, so we stopped nursing after I couldn't handle the stress of making sure I didn't eat ANY dairy, or coffee or chocolate or garlic or onions or pretty much anything.  I just wasn't 100% sold on the idea that he had a milk intolerance, as he was not breaking out in a rash, didn't have bloody stools or anything.  The only symptoms that could have been related were fussiness, gas and spit up.  A lot of a spit up.  Since then, we had visited the chiropractor which significantly improved Aaron's fussiness!  Though now the pediatrician is telling me that it is extremely risky for him to be seeing a chiro at his young age.  I flat out told her that I disagree and that it worked better for his disposition than changing his diet has.  She still doesn't believe me.  Oh well.  So.......we switched back to milk-based formula with broken down proteins to make it a little easier to digest.  Well folks, it worked like a charm, though not without some side-effects.  Aaron spits more again, but more along the lines of a typically spitty baby.  He is still on Prevacid and we are afraid to take him off for fear that the spit will increase.  For now, we will plug along with our new found fix!  Also, belly/gas pains, significantly decreased!  So now we have a generally content baby who just happens to almost constantly be covered in spit up.  And content parents who happen to be covered in spit up as well!  I've had many friends who are parents tell me to go with my gut, despite what the doctors may say at times.  That is my new best advice to new parents.  Go with your gut, with some caution.  Pediatricians, I feel, tend to play down issues, especially for new parents.  But if your child needs help pooping twice a day for over a month...it's not just something they are going to work through.  Just make changes one step at a time to better identify a possible cause!
So we are thankful for poop today folks!  I'll spare you the photograph, but I did make Ben come and see it.  He didn't even flinch when I made that request!  Welcome to Parenthood

No comments:

Contributors