Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Des Moines Marathon?

So, I got a little ambitious the other night while reading Juice, which was advertising the Des Moines marathon.  I got to thinking, "I could do this..."  I logged on to the website to register and then began to have second thoughts.  Not because of the money I had to spend to register, but because 26.2 miles is a lot of miles.  I drive that far just to see my closest client.  Do I really think that I can run/jog/ok probably walk that far?  Considering I really don't classify myself as a runner, I think not.  So I left the webpage up and began watching tv, but my mind kept wandering back to that October race.  What about a half marathon?  13.1 miles, which I have probably walked while visiting in Chicago in November.  Surely I could take the next four months and increase my running/jogging/walking skills to be able to complete the 1/2 marathon.  Without another thought, I registered, paid my $40 entry fee and began to research training schedules to be sure that I can work up my miles by October 19th.
What the heck was I thinking?  So far, it has gone well, however I am only up to two miles and that is not a 10 minute mile that I am jogging either.  I know that the whole running mile upon mile is mostly a mind over matter challenge and hopefully I can build up my mind to ignore the sore muscle matter and burning lungs to complete the training without killing myself or my knees.  I'll keep you updated on my journey and will definitely be blogging when I finish this beast!

No comments:

Contributors