Sunday, July 20, 2008

Progress

I am slowly making progress on my 1/2 marathon training.  I was supposed to run for 90 minutes on Satuday but only made it 60, mainly because I misjudged how long it would take me to run.  I ended up going 3 1/2 miles in 60 minutes, with probably 1/2 of a mile being walked.  July, I've been told is the worst month for running due to the awful humidity and heat, even at 5am.  My thought it, if I can run in this, October will be nothing right?  Hope so.  I have improved my time already from 20 minute miles, yes I am SLOW, to 16 minute miles.  In only 2 1/2 weeks, I am very proud of my accomplishments and can't wait to see how much more I progress.  I would love to be down to a 10 minute mile by the time I am running the race in October but I'll be happy with even a 14 minute mile.  The other day, I went and bought two "running outfits."  Yes, there is such a thing.  And I spent nearly $100 on two tank tops and two pairs of shorts!  Yikes, running is spendy!  Not to mention, I am in need of new shoes, which are going to cost $100 as well.  Guess you gotta start with something when you came from having nothing even remotely related to running.  :)

On another interested note, we had Evan over this weekend for our first overnight respite.  It went quite well, however we are constantly trying to find things to do that are entertaining for a 12 year old as well as not super expensive.  We went to see Hancock and also saw an iCubs game before the weather rolled in.  Keeping a 12 year old entertained is quite a challenge and I'm glad that we will have time to ease into the ages once we have our own.  Maybe next year, you'll get to start reading about baby news.  Ben's still wanting to wait, despite my constant nagging?  I don't know if it's nagging but definitely prompting and justifying the timely and financial ability.  Oh well, we'll get there when we do.  Until then, I'll just wait, semi-patiently.  

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Dropping 4 minutes off your mile in 2 1/2 weeks--that's fantastic progress! Keep it up! Heck, I'm starting to run regularly again (I took about a month off...it is too dang hot!) and just trying to drop a minute off my run time is killer! I'm really impressed by your long run. I should maybe throw that in on the weekends as well. And shoes--good shoes make all the difference. I recommend Asics (Jensen and I both love ours), but it's a personal preference. Keep up the good work!

Contributors