Sunday, April 3, 2011

Nap Battle Royale

So....Aaron continues to battle nap time and bed time.  He wants to interact with us...and vice versa.  However, if we put him down too early, he takes an hour to fall asleep or more.  What's more is that we have to sit with him until he falls asleep to keep popping the damn pacifier back in his mouth because when it falls out, he wakes up.  Grrrr!!!  If we wait until we know he is exhausted or even just tired, it's usually tooooooo late and he's over tired and over stimulated.  THEN, he screams...for 30-60 minutes and NOTHING works to calm him down.  We've put him in the crib and let him cry, for an hour.  Only made him more worked up and screamed louder.  We've rocked him until he falls asleep, only to have him wake up crying as soon as we put him down.  We've put him in his swing, which works on an inconsistent basis or until it stops swinging.  I'm so frustrated, feeling like I crappy mom who can't console her child or even get him to relax enough to fall asleep.  I know that's not true but more days are feeling like that than not.  I look forward to Mondays...regretfully...because Aaron goes to daycare and I don't have to worry about getting him to fall asleep for a nap.  THAT makes me feel awful as well.  I should want to spend time with my child, want to rock him to sleep and snuggle.  I'm starting to dread weekends and evenings because I know he's just going to scream and there is nothing that I can do about it.  I'm just feeling inadequate, depressed, and guilty.  Never thought that this would be part of motherhood.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl, sorry it's rough. For a long term solution, you can start with a bedtime routine every day. It won't work right away, but at least this won't go on forever. We basically did the Ferber method and a consistent bedtime routine, and now bedtime goes well. But I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time, you're not a bad parent and you're certainly not alone!

Unknown said...

Stacey: we went through the same fussy period with Max. It seems like it will never end, but it does. Just keep up with your routine as much as possible. It will pass, and he'll be sleeping soundly for 10-11 hour stretches :)

Ellyn said...

Janie went through this, too, at about the same age. It was ROUGH, and I remember feeling the same guilt and inadequacy you're feeling. It's not your fault; it's just a phase he is going through, and it will pass. Go easy on yourself. You are doing the most you can for him, and the fact that you wish you could do more is proof that you're a great mom.

Contributors